KEXP’s Music That Matters, Vol. 265 - Bumbershoot 2011 Preview
DJ Kevin Cole previews some of the many highlights from this year’s Bumbershoot: Seattle’s Music & Arts Festival including rare live performances from Kristin Hersh, Fitz and The Tantrums, and Sharon Van Etten.
1. Vetiver - Wonder Why
2. Ravenna Woods - Headless Men
3. The Kills - Heart Is A Beating Drum
4. My Goodness - Blackout Baby
5. Fitz and The Tantrums - Breaking The Chains Of Love (from Live at KEXP Volume 7)
6. Dennis Coffey - 7th Galaxy
7. Charles Bradley - The World (Is Going Up In Flames)
8. Shabazz Palaces - Swerve… The Reeping Of All That Is…
9. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - My Oh My
10. Mad Rad - The Youth Die Young
11. Kristin Hersh - Rat Girl (excerpt) + Gazebo Tree (Live at KEXP)
12. Sharon Van Etten - One Day (from Live at KEXP Volume 7)
13. Vusi Mahlasela - Nakupenda Africa (featuring Angelique Kidjo)
14. Little Dragon - Ritual Union
15. School Of Seven Bells - Windstorm
16. Thee Oh Sees - Pleasure Blimps
17. Craft Spells - Party Talk
Brite Futures will be rocking the Mainstage at Bumbershoot! They have a new album dropping 11.1.11; we sat down and chatted with them about everything from their first gig at Bumbershoot to prison tattoos. Listen to the interview here, then head over to the Brite Futures facebook page for a free download of their newest song!
She is inspired by life and he is influenced by Danny Elfman, Stevie Wonder, and DJ Premier. Together they have created a sound that blends the golden era of hip-hop with the swingin’ sounds of ’60s jazz. Hear the rebel dance music of Fly Moon Royalty at this years Bumbershoot!
With over 1,250 shows on his vocal chords and almost 350,000 miles of touring on his Honda, Astronautalis has honed his craft on the road. He will be sweating out stories and seducing audiences with his genre spanning Hip-hop.
Ladies & Gentlemen, here it is. After 3 years of touring, researching, and writing…my new album is finally done and set for release on September 13th. However, i was so excited about the result, i couldn’t wait any more to keep it from you, so i am giving away the first single for free! This song, produced by Alias (Anticon/Sage Francis), was one of the first i wrote for the record and holds a great deal of personal significance to me in regards to you, the listener, and the life that i have made out of all of your endless love and support. So please, listen, enjoy, and if you like it…REBLOG THIS LIKE MAD! thanks for giving a damn!
Half female and mostly brutal, Witchburn's gritty guitars and moody southern metal tap a classic rock vein with their fierce energy and powerful musical chops.
They are self described as the “sound of rebellion in the voice of a hate-child conceived during a mythological orgy between Black Sabbath, Janis Joplin, Ronnie James Dio, and Heart” and will be shredding the stage at Bumbershoot 2011
Seattle’s most experimental Hip-hop danceheads, Champagne Champagne, brought some serious intensity to KEXP’s Cafe Vita Bean Room sessions this past weekend. Check them out on the Fisher Green Stage at Bumbershoot 2011!