Want to get up close and personal with some of your favorite Bumbershoot Artists? Pick up a ticket for CityArts’ The Song Show on August 29 and treat yourself to striped-down performances and intimate interviews with Shelby Earl, Ravenna Woods, and Motopony! Check out some past Song Shows and then swing over to strangertickets.com for your tickets.
The Vera Project Will Be Hosting Dutch Silkscreen Artists
Can’t get enough silkscreen poster art? VERA Project Seattle has just announced they will be hosting artists from Holland’s VERA Gronigen— the all-ages venue that served as their inspiration for Seattle’s VERA Project. There will be an exhibit of works and free presentations highlighting and exploring their unique artistic sensibilities! Check out Flatstock 31 at Bumbershoot to get a healthy dose of silkscreen goodness over Labor Day weekend!
Acoustic indie rock with a punk sensibility. Ravenna Woods will be rocking their Bumbershoot set with intricate compositions and odd time signatures. Hear this track off “Valley of the Headless Men” and see them on the EMP Level 3 Stage
Want to start your Bumbershoot art binge early? Head over to 112 Printworks and put your peepers on Inklings: a Flatstock 31 Sneak Peek. The latest prints from Flatstock Seattle artists will be providing a taste of what’s to come when Flatstock 31 opens at Bumbershoot. The preview will run from Saturday, August 20th until the evening before the Festival.
“Writing about myself, and trying to remain objective and interesting turned out to be much more difficult than writing about old dead revolutionary war generals… I am really proud of the result on this album… but this whole “self-indulgence” thing is totally overrated. Hmmm… should I have used “non-autobiographical” or “non-autobiographic” there? Curse my public school education!”—Read more of When Hip-Hop Meets Indie Rock – an interview with Astronautalis on Culturemob.
KEXP’s Music That Matters, Vol. 265 - Bumbershoot 2011 Preview
DJ Kevin Cole previews some of the many highlights from this year’s Bumbershoot: Seattle’s Music & Arts Festival including rare live performances from Kristin Hersh, Fitz and The Tantrums, and Sharon Van Etten.
1. Vetiver - Wonder Why
2. Ravenna Woods - Headless Men
3. The Kills - Heart Is A Beating Drum
4. My Goodness - Blackout Baby
5. Fitz and The Tantrums - Breaking The Chains Of Love (from Live at KEXP Volume 7)
6. Dennis Coffey - 7th Galaxy
7. Charles Bradley - The World (Is Going Up In Flames)
8. Shabazz Palaces - Swerve… The Reeping Of All That Is…
9. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - My Oh My
10. Mad Rad - The Youth Die Young
11. Kristin Hersh - Rat Girl (excerpt) + Gazebo Tree (Live at KEXP)
12. Sharon Van Etten - One Day (from Live at KEXP Volume 7)
13. Vusi Mahlasela - Nakupenda Africa (featuring Angelique Kidjo)
14. Little Dragon - Ritual Union
15. School Of Seven Bells - Windstorm
16. Thee Oh Sees - Pleasure Blimps
17. Craft Spells - Party Talk
Brite Futures will be rocking the Mainstage at Bumbershoot! They have a new album dropping 11.1.11; we sat down and chatted with them about everything from their first gig at Bumbershoot to prison tattoos. Listen to the interview here, then head over to the Brite Futures facebook page for a free download of their newest song!